CCFC is the leading nonprofit organization committed to helping children thrive in an increasingly commercialized, screen-obsessed culture, and the only organization dedicated to ending marketing to children. Our advocacy is grounded in the overwhelming evidence that child-targeted marketing – and the excessive screen time it encourages – undermines kids’ healthy development.
No other organization our size stands up for kids the way we can. Since our founding by Dr. Susan Linn in 2000, CCFC has grown from a small group of concerned parents, health professionals, and educators into a powerful force for children and families. Our unique approach helps puts kids’ wellbeing first at home, in communities, and in corporate boardrooms.
Working closely with policymakers, health and child development experts, and our nearly 40,000 members, we’re bringing to life a new vision of childhood — one shaped by what’s best for kids, not what’s best for profits.
CCFC holds corporations accountable.
- CCFC is the leading watchdog of the kids’ media industry. Our advocacy and expertise led directly to the FTC’s investigation of YouTube, and the record-setting 2019 settlement that forced Google and YouTube to limit data collection and targeted advertising on kid-directed content.
- In 2017, we pressured Mattel to cancel the release of Aristotle, an always-on digital assistant designed to “live” in kids’ bedrooms for birth to age 13.
- Our 2015 campaign against Hello Barbie, a doll that recorded children’s conversations and shared them with unnamed third parties, led to the toy being designated a flop – it sold just 10,000 of the expected 250,000 units.
- We forced Disney to pay more than $110 million in refunds after the company lied to parents about the efficacy of their Baby Einstein videos.
- Our advocacy has pushed companies like Nickelodeon, Hasbro, Amazon, and even the NFL to change their marketing practices to be less harmful to children.
CCFC creates commercial-free time and space for kids.
- Each year, more than 150,000 people join us in celebrating Screen-Free Week, an annual event where kids, families, and communities rediscover the joys of life beyond ad-supported screens.
- Our Parent Toolkit for Student Privacy has guided educators, administrators, and school systems to change the way they think about collecting – and protecting – sensitive student data.
- The nearly 1,000 experts, researchers, and advocates in the Children’s Screen Time Action Network are working every day to help the kids and families in their communities find time away commercialized digital devices – and for the play, exploration, and face-to-face relationships all kids need.
CCFC helps families parent according to their values.
- In 2018 alone, we distributed more than 10,000 educational resources for parents of pre-schoolers.
- Our resource library offers tips and guidance for parents who want to limit commercialism in their own homes.
- Our expert webinar series, Action Network Live!, brings leading experts in child development, education, and technology into conversation with parents and caregivers around the world.